View Single Post
      06-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #68
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
First, does the current and previous non-manual transmissions (SMG/DCT) auto-shift like the steptronics, or does it bounce off the rev limiter like a manual transmission when you don't shift gears?
In manual mode, yes, they will bounce off the limiter. Well, actually, with the most current implementation it is less of a bounce and more of a gradual backing off of the throttle.

This, of course, is just a function of the software. It would be just as possible for BMW to program the ZF 8 speed automatic to bounce off of the limiter as well, or as a corollary, to program the Getrag 7 speed DCT to automatically upshift. The point here is that this is not a factor of the transmission technology. Actually, it would be nice if they allowed you to configure this behavior via iDrive for either transmission.

Quote:
If the SMG/DCT bounce off the rev limiter like a manual, I really don't see what the fuss is about. You still are technically shifting with your hands and have complete control of what gear you are in.
Some people want control of the clutch. It is a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
I can't imagine many people what the ability to do a 1-4 up shift or worse, a 5-2 down shift.
Actually you can do both of those things with a DCT or traditional auto, and with good reason. You need the multigear downshift to pass, and the multigear upshift is nice for accelerating quickly to a given speed and then selecting a cruising gear. The latter can even be accomplished with a single shift input by flooring the accelerator first.

Quote:
Dropping the hammer at a high RPM? See Launch control which can get consistently faster times than any human.
Theoretically, although as it is implemented for the current M3, it leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure if it is improved for the new M5. Also note that BMW does not include a launch control feature on non-M vehicles (automatics), which while not part of this discussion, are also likely to lose their manual option at some point in the future as well.
Appreciate 0