04-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Way to make me feel old, Wede!

No AP classes for me. No advanced degree. No MBA. No PhD. Just a boring old 4-year engineering degree. I cant help but wonder if that's going to bite me in the ass a decade from now when I'm in my mid 50s and all the 30-something hot shots are competing with me for a job, armed with a 7.5 GPA, MBAs, multiple degrees, and what not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
What, you didn't have dinosaurs and had to walk uphill (both ways) thru the snow, with no shoes, even in the summer???? Oh, the huge manatee!!!!

I went from 4.0 in HS to Electrical Engineering in UCSB. After the BEST 4-year vacation I had even experienced, I was subject to academic disqualification, I had to go to work and go to night school (and get a B in Spanish) to get a BS in Math. Since I was in the groove, and my Uncle Sam was paying, I went on to get an MS in Systems Management from USC (Fight On!)

After all that, I'm a career computer geek . . .
We all know success in life is never scripted for common folks like us. It's all about how you yourself innovate and change as the demands of the employers change.

There is no golden ticket in life. A GPA (btw colleges only go on 4.0 scale), or MBA or anything doesn't ensure shit. Certain people with certain degrees and will get a faster head start, no doubt, but you can't bullshit your way through employment and get away with it. At one point, you have to put up or shut up.

Myself, after college, I've already taken 2 professional certificate tests to further compete within my profession. This will ensure no fresh college kid will ever be able to compete with me off the bat. Now I can definitely fall behind if I don't continue to stay relevant...so that's why I continue to learn about the changes of my industry and from time to time, upload a computer virus to said college kid's computer and frame him.