View Single Post
      11-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #56
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
After reading through this thread, and seeing it mentioned that the new taurus is cheaper but still comparable, even if in their own mind, to other high end luxury cars. And after hearing all the CTS-V vs. M5 hype with it being near $30k less money is anyone else just fed up that Americans always make the cheaper underdog car? Why didn't GM put the extra $30k (or at least $25k to be competitive) into the car and blow the M5's socks off?

Why isn't the new Taurus a true competitor to these other luxury brands? Whats with all the exceptions and for-instances in their car line ups.

Mind you this is just some random thoughts that ran through my head reading previous posts. So they are most likely wrong/flawed/not fully thought out. I'm just getting tired of American brands using the 'For substantially less money' caveat. Make a true competitor please, improve your quality across the board, and stop being the eco-boxes you've been for the last decade GM/Ford.

(Although, I think Ford is certainly better off than GM atm.)
I'd guess the answer is that the market for a $100,000.00 world class Cadillac is much smaller than a slightly less refined one at $70K. Also, I'm not sure the public would go for this as the prestige factor is not there no matter how good the car.

Regarding the Taurus, this car is Ford's bread and butter large sedan. It doesn't and never has competed against the foreign competition. If Ford built it to be world class, the market would be much smaller and their profits would suffer. I'm sure they could make a world class car that would have a Lincoln nameplate but Ford or even Lincoln is not Mercedes, BMW or Lexus in terms of prestige and the public and Ford know that.

Last, this is not the time for an American car company to commit time and effort towards a very expensive niche vehicle.
Appreciate 0