10-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
What delimiter?-lol!

And you probably should get some seat time before you say "blow it out of the water". It is definitely faster in certain ranges. 0-60 the Porsche takes it. Low speed roll-Porsche. After 155 you know the story. You can't talk about what the car "might" do. Talk about what it does and from an educated (ie: experience) standpoint. I actually had a salesman take a C4S out to race me in the M6 cab and at 60-80 mph rolls the M6 IMMEDIATELY jumped 1-1.5 lengths. He did however pull right in behind me and didn't lose much ground past 100. It is definitely not "blowing away." We did these 0-60 tests and low speed rolls as well. So these are actual true statements I am making about the performance of one vs. the other. I was seriously SHOCKED. I will tell you that at those speeds if there is a little traffic the Porsche will weave in and out and lose the M5. I did this with a Shelby recently. He by FAR out powered me as we did some spirited interstate driving and as soon as we hit a little traffic I completely lost him. It was funny watching him try to switch lanes sharply and catch up to me. Honestly, "driving experience" has to do with a LOT more than straight line acceleration.

TO the OP: This decision has a lot more to do with "needs". If you need the back seats and more "comfy" interior and you like the BLAST of power, then the M5 is the easy choice. Pure all-around fun-Porsche no question. I don't find myself even in the M6 much these days either. HOWEVER, "fun" is all subjective. What is fun to YOU may not be fun to ME and vice versa. Spend a LOT of time driving both cars. The could not be any more different. Mash and go in the BMW is intoxicating. The linear power of the Porsche and that roar of the motor behind you, the "tight" quality feel of the car and the handling-wow! Not a tough choice either way if you know what you like. One of them will bring it out in you-the other won't.
Your right, it's not probably not fair enough to say "blow it away". But, we both know its faster then the 991S. I bet your old M5 would indeed blow it out the water though LOL. I don't think it can take the M5 off the line with a decent driver. Low speed rolls though the 991's can definitely take it, just to much wheel spin. 60-80 is a bad comparison IMO because your right on the gear. From a 40-45 the M5 should pull very hard on it. Anyways, I totally agree with everything else you said. I always respect your insight cold even though you might get under the skin of others.
Appreciate 0