05-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #27
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy23 View Post
So I desperately needed to come up with a solution to this burning oil problem. I was at a stage whereby I am using 1 litre every 800 miles.

So after carrying out some research I have replaced the oil with 10w60 race oil from castrol.

Surprisingly the bottle says Mpower approved.

The car feels a little quieter at idle (engine wise)

Nothing else really to report apart from 250 miles in and the oil measure screen is still showing full.

Lets see what happenss.

On what may be a completely separate note my car seems to pop and bang a lot more exhaust wise. I don't know if this is an age thing or something else?

I'll keep everyone informed on the oil consumption
Switching from the F10 approved oils (which range from 0W-30 to 0W-40 and includes 5W-30 & 5W-40) to the previous M5s from the E39 (and E9x M3s) 10W-60 will likely cause long term problems, typically including premature main and rod bearing wear. Using a heavier oil (even though "viscosity" isn't just a thickness measurement but a temperature range measurement as well) will result in higher oil pressure but more importantly SLOWER oil flow in the engine. This will generally result in less lubrication in high force locations, like bearings, and higher operating temperatures at those points.

If it were my car I wouldn't use the 10W-60!

In addition, if you want a car that doesn't use oil (mostly blow-by past the piston rings) you'd be better off with a Lexus. If you want a high performance motor you don't want the ring to cylinder wall clearance tight enough to prevent blow-by as it just results in more friction & heat.
Appreciate 0