View Single Post
      06-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #105
Kinzer S13GT
Avid enthusiast... is to put lightly!!
Rep
Drives: Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
Interesting. I think it would be more efficient to have three cylinders constantly swapping between two scrolls (nevermind the engineering mechanics behind making this happen). So what I mean is, you have 3 cylinders and 2 scrolls. Cylinder 1 fires into scroll 1, cylinder 2 fires into scroll 2, cylinder 3 fires into scroll 1, cylinder 1 fires into scroll 2, cylinder 2 fires into scroll 1, cylinder three fires into scroll 2, etc. etc.

I wonder if this could be accomplished using a simple "gate". In other words, every time a cylinder fires, it switches the gate to the other scroll.

Illustration:

|/| |\| |/|
^->^->^

lol, I suck. I'm not sure that illustration helps at all.
No no, i get the idea... actually I also thought of it myself! If it is even necessary, and can result in an actual measurable and "worthwhile" increase in performance then it is possible that they "might" try something like this. The adjustable vanes used in variable geometry turbos, are electro-hydraulically controlled by the computer with oil pressure control valves. Almost Anything is possible, its just a matter of their engineers designing a system that can be "cost effectively" produced! Again... with a substantial performance advantage!
Appreciate 0