View Single Post
      03-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I forgot to post my experience with the floor jack and hope that this will help those home mechanics who are as timid as I was at first. For the front, the raised dome of aluminum right in front of the oil pan is a sturdy place for the floor jack and has good balance through the lift. My car is still at stock height and even with that I had to lift the car slightly from the side initially to allow the floor jack to travel far enough under the car to place the lift pad in the right place. For the rear I used a folded towel on the jack pad to cushion and add some anti-slip for use on the finned portion of the differential. It was solid and the fins handled the weight with no problem. I was just nervous with a new car, but it is a simple process when done with care.
Thanks for this Used2be,
I will at some point, be having the car on axle stands, for one reason or another, and your guide helps greatly. Did the jacking on the diff, feel ok, ive had a quick look at the finned area, and wasnt sure ?. Did you check the front member, after jacking, to see if there was any damage at all ?, many thanks, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0