United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcesimo View Post
It is.
in europe, where people drive with manners, you are probably right. here in the u.s., the rules may be different. thanks.
Seems like you had your mind made up.

But yes, it is uncourteous to change lanes without signaling. If you are a safe distance ahead and do not impede on someone else's progress, any anger from the other driver is an overreaction--and his road rage might be more dangerous than your lack of signaling etiquette. That said, I'm not really concerned with who I piss off on the road. I have an agenda, and as far as I'm concerned while driving, it's the only one that matters. BMW drivers don't like it when BMW drivers treat them as they treat everyone else. Still, I don't care what car you drive, I need to be somewhere.

To answer your original question, it is necessary to signal at all times except in emergencies when immediate reflexes are required. You must signal at least 100 ft before an intersection in urban areas and 500 ft in rural areas. Every time you intend to cross painted lines, you must do your best to signal your intentions. Mostly, cops will not pull you over for signaling late, and usually they won't if you forget to signal, but you'll be mad at yourself the one time you get caught. Almost like J-walking, except you could hurt someone if you're being stupid.
Appreciate 0