View Single Post
      07-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

So the next Bugatti Veyron is to be a Hybrid. M5 Implications...

Just read an article on the Automobile Magazine website that the next Bugatti Veyron is likely to be a hybrid with up to 1,500 HP. Same base engine as today (if that engine can ever be called base at 1,200 HP), but with hybrid on top to get to 1,500. Why do we care? Other than the fact that it is an amazing proposition (1,500 HP), I keep coming back to the notion of whether the G-series M5 (2019) can afford NOT to have a hybrid power train....

While the M3 is BMW's prototypical track car (until the M2?), in many respects the M5 is the halo car (i8 owners might want to argue this until there is another M1 one day?). Halo cars have to be at the forefront and I am convinced that this is what M Div will aim for. More evidence? I also read that the new Acura NSX (2015/2016) is going to be hybrid. Mercedes is learning a tonne in F1 by winning with a dominant hybrid power train. Yes, BMW appears to be the leader in the move to lightweight composites (especially from a volume perspective), but I don't think it will be enough for M Div to simply add 50-75 HP to the current engine, lose a little weight, add AWD optionality and make a few other tweaks. The next M5 has to last many years and meanwhile the great benchmark cars around it are moving in this direction (hybrid). Food for thought and as always I would love to hear your updated thoughts...
Appreciate 0