11-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtE36M3 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I probably wouldn't of made it an issue with the service department at risk of needing major surgery to correct unless the problem got worse. I guess its normal. But I think it's weird to have programmed the DCT this way. Does this put more stress on the clutch starting from 2nd that often?
Technically, yes, it will cause more clutch wear to start in second because less power to the wheels will require a slower engage time on the clutch which increases the asynchronous contact time on the plate. Practically, however, it doesnt make a difference for two reasons. First, this car has so much power that the increase in clutch slippage due to starting in 2nd will be marginal at best. Second, the DCT is designed to handle much more wear on the clutch plates than a conventional manual transmission (it also has more plates). In order to prevent power dropout while shifting, both the clutch plates for the incoming and outgoing gears are required to slip (in a conventional transmission there would be very little slip when dissengaging a gear) and one would expect that the increased wear would be expected and handled in the transmission design.

Long story short, if you like the extra smoothness or comfort of starting in 2nd, keep doing it because it probably wont do anything to hurt the car.
Appreciate 0