Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Why not just get/keep Kansas plates, since they don't require fronts? When the time comes to renew give them your Ft. Bliss address, and see if they balk, or let you keep it registered.
Some states, such as South Dakota, allow you to keep plates from them as long as you want to keep giving them registration revenue. Virginia, on the other hand, will go after you for state income taxes and car usage taxes if you keep their plates on your car after you have moved.

If you are willing to take risk, you can always register in another state (such as your home of residence state, and then leave the plate off). As far as I know, texas doesn't keep track of which states require front plates and which states don't, so they don't ticket or pull over out of state registered vehicles for this.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...se-plates.html
I dont think they can enforce other states' laws, regardless of if they know them or not - just my assumption. I was stopped in NJ with no front plate but once the cop saw the CT registration and told me to go, said he couldnt do anything.

I used to register at my mother's residence in CT for this reason alone, but I deemed the risk was too great for me after Hurricane Sandy flooded my condo's garage (live on Hudson). Although I moved my C63 at the time, many people did not and had their cars totaled.

I didn't want to answer questions regarding why my car was parked in a private spot in NJ if it came to it. No idea how insurance companies investigate claims, but an easy check on me would show my name on the mortgage in NJ and my work in NYC. When I got my M5 i switched everything over because I just didnt want to deal with Geico not honoring my claim should something like Sandy happen again or if my car got stolen, which is also very common in NJ (NJ has it all, shtty weather, potholes, theft, traffic, front plate, no tints).

In all honesty, the US millwork tow mount is a well made piece, and doesnt look half bad to me. It unscrews easily if u want to remove it for any reason.

My suggestion is, get the US millworks mount, if you get pulled over, whip it out and say I ordered this for my move and didnt get the chance to install it. Until then, run with no front plate.

Last edited by PatrickC23; 02-19-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0