View Single Post
      02-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
I dont think they can enforce other states' laws, regardless of if they know them or not - just my assumption. I was stopped in NJ with no front plate but once the cop saw the CT registration and told me to go, said he couldnt do anything.

I used to register at my mother's residence in CT for this reason alone, but I deemed the risk was too great for me after Hurricane Sandy flooded my condo's garage (live on Hudson). Although I moved my C63 at the time, many people did not and had their cars totaled.

I didn't want to answer questions regarding why my car was parked in a private spot in NJ if it came to it. No idea how insurance companies investigate claims, but an easy check on me would show my name on the mortgage in NJ and my work in NYC. When I got my M5 i switched everything over because I just didnt want to deal with Geico not honoring my claim should something like Sandy happen again or if my car got stolen, which is also very common in NJ (NJ has it all, shtty weather, potholes, theft, traffic, front plate, no tints).

In all honesty, the US millwork tow mount is a well made piece, and doesnt look half bad to me. It unscrews easily if u want to remove it for any reason.

My suggestion is, get the US millworks mount, if you get pulled over, whip it out and say I ordered this for my move and didnt get the chance to install it. Until then, run with no front plate.
This shouldn't be a problem. On your insurance, you can specify the "principal place of garaging" which does not have to be the same state where the car is registered. In this case, NJ is probably higher insurance rates than CT, so they will not bother you at all for a CT registered car insured principally in NJ. If you go the other way, they may question that you are trying to game the insurance rates.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0