View Single Post
      08-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
1) Make sure you buy enough pre-purchased AT&T international data roaming in advance of your trip. I bought 800mb for my iPhone 5. Nobody else in my family had data roaming - they just used wifi and switched of data roaming. For the iPad I bought prepaid microsims with 1 month of unlimited data for Germany and Austria from T-Mobile. Germany and Austria requires separate micro-sims. This was to use iPad in the car and also the iPad can provide tethering to the other phones using these microsims so your family has connectivity to their phones in the car. In hotels there was usually free wifi.

3) These devices are all dual voltage. Just take a Euro plug adapter. You can buy 6 for $12 on Amazon.

4) I brought it with me but it is the iPhone adapter. The armrest USB port is used for the European nav maps so if you want to play music from your iPhone you need to use the snap-in adapter. Also I didn't take a dashcam last time. I will this year. I bought a Drift HD Ghost a few months ago. Its the best one because it has a remote control and also built-in screen so you know what you are recording. I think it is the best one out there - I tested about 3 or 4. Also bring spare batteries. I carry 3 and the Ghost has the longest battery life of all of them.

5) Don't underestimate the amount of roadworks and traffic. Lots of roadworks due to stimulus spending in Germany and Austria. This prevented me from achieving estimated drive times in a number of cases.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 08-30-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0