02-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
I believe it requires the right ambient light level for pedestrian detection to work. I have had this happen to me before. It is on the USA/Canada manual on page 105.

"For safety reasons, when driving at speeds above approx. 3 mph/5 km/h and in low ambient light, the image is only displayed when the low beams are switched on. A still image is displayed at regular intervals for a fraction of a second. Pedestrian detection. The pedestrian detection and warning system only operates in darkness and only when a heat image is displayed. Warm objects that are similar in shape to human beings are detected by the system. People detected by the system are displayed with a slight yellow hue. Under good ambient conditions, the pedestrian detection system operates within a range of approx. 50 ft/15 m to approx. 330 ft/100 m. Environmental influences can limit the availability of pedestrian detection. If pedestrian detection is not available, a symbol is displayed in the heat image (this symbol is the yellow triangle in manual). This symbol disappears when the function becomes available again."
Appreciate 0