06-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Are you saying that the G-forces are affecting the engine in a bad way, or that the use of the engines power is something the engine is not designed to withstand?

Off course a engine that is driven leisurely (but not so leisurely that it gets carbon deposits etc) will normally last longer than a engine that is run at full throttle. But I don't think that BMW ///M hasn't taken into consideration that their engines will be used extensively at high speeds on the Autobahn or on track days. In fact BMW even arranges track days... And has the 'Ring Taxi M5 which is driven hard around the Nürburgring.
No, not the G forces. I am talking about the constant high speed to low speed and back transitions. The kinetic energy of the car is proportional to V**2. If you look at the curve, you see that energy levels are substantially higher at 100mph than 50mph. The kinetic energy of the car is 4 times as high at 100mph as it is at 50mph. At 150mph it is 9 times as much as at 50mph. So braking from 150mph down to 80mph to take one of the corners on the COTA creates far more heat than braking from 50mph to 0mph. Even braking from 100mph to 50mph requires dissipating three times the energy as from 50mph to 0mph. That energy is usually dissipated in the form of heat and heat wears out engine components, brakes and tires too. It also stresses all of the rotating components as well.

Running the car at a constant high speed isn't the same as tracking it. The speed is constant and the energy is constant. So there isn't a lot of heat generated due to frequent change in energy levels. This is why tracking the car will wear it out quickly. I am sure the engineers at BMW didn't design the car to be tracked on a regular basis, not within the warranty anyway.

OCICBW but I don't intend to track my car regularly.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 06-02-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0