View Single Post
      04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #41
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I have owned many M's and AMG's, as well as some P's. All have something very important in common: following a proper break-in procedure.

It's important to remember that break-in means a lot to these high performance cars. Also, do not forget that you aren't just breaking in your engine.. you are also breaking in your DCT, M Differential, and other components. Follow the BMW recommended break-in procedure and be very strict about it. Remember to always vary your engine speed (and thus vehicle speed), and try to never maintain a specific speed/rpm for very long.

After you complete the required 1,200mi recommended break-in service, it's important to not let loose as you roll out of the service bay. You should slowly progress the car to higher and higher RPM limits. I recommend doing so over a 1,000 mile period, and following a post break-in schedule such as the one I use below:

1,000mi (Minimum) Post Break-In Procedure
Requirements: 105mph maximum speed, vary engine speed, no full throttle use, must limit rpm to 3,400rpm when below normal engine operating temperature.
+300mi: rev's kept under 5,500rpm
+250mi: rev's kept under 6,000rpm
+200mi: rev's kept under 6,500rpm
+250mi: rev's kept between 6,500-7,000rpm (progress rpm throughout period)
** At 2,200mi: First time you may start getting more aggressive with the car (full throttle use). Avoid shifts at maximum engine speed and avoid speeds above 140mph for another 900 miles.
** At 3,100mi: Consider your car fully broken in, and done so under the best possible conditions. Enjoy.

The critical point here (at ~1,200mi) is to not unleash the car immediately after the recommended break-in period and service. You don't have to follow the above schedule to do this, but its a good general guide to follow.. and I would highly recommend doing so. In addition, once you reach 2,200 miles, use caution (read above) for the next 900 miles (until you reach 3,100mi).

Additional Service Note: HIGHLY recommend that you perform an oil and oil filter change at 2,200 miles. You could count on their being at least some additional metal shavings 1,000 miles after the initial break-in service. I would also consider another oil change (can reuse oil filter this time) once you reach 3,100 miles (optional at your discretion). At this mileage mark, your M5 is considered fully broken in.

Related Components Break-In Period
- Clutch: 300 Miles. Then friction of the clutch achieves optimum potential.
- Tires: 200 Miles. Then achieves full traction potential.. use caution prior to.
- Brakes: 300 Miles. Follow proper bedding in procedure by reading this post. This will prevent brake noises (squeal) and maximize brake rotor and pad life.

I followed this break-in protocol with all my cars (3 E60's + many others) and I usually add oil every 6,000-7,000mi (minimum).

The first 2,200 miles (1,200 break-in plus 1,000 post break-in) sets the car up for the rest of it's life and sets its eating habits.

Break-in procedures are VERY controversial. Choose your method. Personally, the above works great for me every time.

Last edited by avlnch; 04-08-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0