Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Not being cheap at all. I am not going to reward poor or marginal service. Society has created an environment where the consumer feels guilty for not tipping. Why is it only the waiters that deserve a tip...when was the last time you tipped the gas pump attendant, etc. It shouldn't be up to the consumer to decide a fair wage to the server. I have been to restaurants where tipping is not permitted. To compensate the charge for meals is slightly more. No pressure/no guilt.
I guess it's different in Canada...?

I don't know of a "full service" gas station near me, so I pump my own gas, but if I came across one and the guy did what he was supposed to (pumped gas, washed windows, checked oil, etc) then I'd probably throw him a bone. It's not because I feel "obligated" to give them a tip, it's because I appreciate what they are doing if they do a good job.

Bringing out the wrong (in the OP's eyes) change, especially when the OP never asked for singles, doesn't make the service during the meal marginal. Maybe the OP can chime in with exactly why the service was "marginal at best?" Or maybe, like I said before, the OP was just looking for an excuse and that was it... Nowhere in the thread does the OP mention what was so bad about his service.