United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha///M View Post
Hmmmm, generic store? Naah. Support your local bike shop! I ride both road and mtb and have several bikes. I bought a decent one (Cannondale) as my first one bc I wasn't sure how much I'd be into it. Now, there are soo many good/decent bikes to choose from your best bet would be chose ur components vs. frame. Like posted earlier, mountain bike components (cranks, brakes, shifters, derailleurs) get abused and break often if there cheap. On the other hand, u rarely break a frame (specialized, trek, kona). So, don't get hung up on a weird fork design or full suspension bike, but set a budget and upgrade the components. Then let the hills kick ur ass! Lol. Good luck. Let us kno what u buy...
^^ This. I'm a roadie and a competitive cyclist (albeit a lousy one ) and the relationship I established with my local bike shop has been INVALUABLE in understanding the terminology and moving me from my 1st road bike (Trek 2.1) to my current setup (see my garage).

Cycling is amazing and such a wonderful way to stay in shape and experience the area in which you live.

Not quite sure what the cycling scene is like in your area, but I'd suggest the following:
  • Talk to the folks at your local shop about routes and local rides
  • Search the web for local bike clubs and see if they have group rides for beginners
  • Find a good charity event (e.g. Team in Training). They often cater to beginning cyclists and it's a great way to take up a hobby and help others!
  • Inundate the bike nerds here on the forums with questions. We'd be happy to drive you nuts with technical discussions about SRAM v. Shimano!

Last edited by ZMM_OMG; 07-10-2012 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Lousy typos!
Appreciate 0