View Single Post
      08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
First off, thanks for your two posts... about the best consolidated explanation I have seen on here.

A couple questions:

1) Are you sure that BMW doesn't do a bench break in for the seals? This would seem to be optimal for their warranty purposes, but obviously would be costly.

2) Every one says "run the engine hard through the RPM range for first 20 miles, under full pressure." What exactly does this mean? Can this be done while staying under 4500 RPM? If I dont need to redline it, was is a better theoretical max RPM for this first 20 mile break-in?

3) Diong this hard break-in seems to me to warrant an oil change soon afterward. What if I held off from doing the oil change till 1000 miles?

I really want to break my engine in right... but I will be on a tight timetable, in foriegn countries, with guests. However, I dont want to look back over the course of the next 2-4 years wishing I had taken the 20 minutes to break it in correctly because the car now has blow by and burns oil. I pickup from the welt at 0910 in the morning... I can have the break in done and in for a quick oil change by noon if need be (anyone recommend a location in Munich to do it?)

Thoughts?
1.) Yes I am certain they do not. Warranty of what? The only consequence of blow-by is increased oil consumption and slight power loss. One is unnoticeable on such a strong car and the other is considered "normal" by BMW.
2.) It means at varied rpms up and down the rev range , is 7200 rpm necessary no but not going over 4500 rpm is babying it too much IMHO. In general going to the torque peak of the motor should be adequate so around 5- 5500 rpm max which is what BMW rec by the way. The key is full throttle then allowing the car to engine brake back down the rev range .
3.) this is where modern engines and oils do come in to play. In old hand built motors with regular oil people would change the oil right at 20 miles after the initial break in run and the oil would have so much metal in it it would be sparkly. In a modern mass production BMW motor this is not the case . there will be break in metal , some Blackstone reports have shown this to be true still at 4k miles but changing the synthetic oil and filter at 1200 miles should be fine. I would rec changing it again before 5k miles based off other members oil reports.
4.) If you are in Munich thats perfect the hilly bavarian countryside is ideal , the constant hills will put great load on the engine! Just spend 20 miles on the autobahn accelerating and engine braking and whala youve done it!Don't beat on the car , keep the rpms varied (for gods sake don't use cruise control) and enjoy your trip! they will change the oil when your car arrives in the US.
George
Appreciate 0