View Single Post
      08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
I'm sorry but you are dead wrong on this. The whole point of breaking in a modern engine is to create a uniform seal of the piston ring to the combustion chamber wall. If this does not occur you will have blow by for the rest of your engines days thus losing compression , power, and requiring huge amounts of oil every 1000 miles. Will you notice losing 10hp on a 600 hp motor no, but it will happen . What people do notice and whine incessantly about is adding oil every few hundred miles. What Rpi dave is referring to is that 90% of the ring break in occurs during the first 20 miles of a new motors life. BMW is rec of varying rpms is to do just this, the best way to seat the ring is high throttle use followed by engine braking up and down the rpm range. Going to redline isn't as important as the cylinder seeing full pressure . For instance the GTR motor is a good example to prove my point. It even more of a "modern motor than the S63 Tu complete with plasma lined cylinders. It also is TT and sees both high compression , high boost with high rpm's. Nissan takes these motors and does a specific bench brake in procedure where they take the motor to redline and then let it engine brake repeatedly for ten minutes to ensure a good ring seal. then they put it in the GTR with a strict no redline break in for the other components. Since BMW does not do this for our motors I'm going to do it myself right after i reach full operating temp off the lot. Your only shot at not having huge oil consumption with this motor really. (Unless the guy unloading your car at port does this for you) lol. Unfortunately Iv'e seen too many of those videos .
So, to clarify-hard drive it for 20 miles, reaching max boost and allowing the engine to break down the RPM range. Then how about the remainder of the 1,200 recommended miles? How should it be driven?

Side note: The person who buys the 2014 M6 Coupe I took home for a night can rest assured that those rings are seated!
Appreciate 0