03-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Below Speed Limit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1Pilot View Post
Let me guess, you have the 343s, right?

I'd say you did a good job summarizing the opinions and info stated in other threads. Some of these bullets are correct, but others are unsubstantiated, or just sour grapes from those who didn't have opportunity to get the 601Ms.

To me, wheels are about 45% function (do they create a good contact patch for the car/HP I have, is wear and tear minimal), 45% looks (do they make the car standout, are they aesthetically appealing to me, are they easy to maintain), and about 10% performance (I'm not trying to win a bunch of races, or beat everyone on the track, so unsprung mass is not my primary concern in my 575HP car, and if it was I would have a track/drag setup anyways)

Looking forward to all those "my 601Ms are out of round" threads that should be happening any day now.

I say just pick the wheels you like the look of best, these performance/maintenance issues are way overblown compared to what really matters -- after seeing them on many cars now, I think they look amazing, especially on darker cars.
I completely agree with you, but to me, it's all about "best bang for the buck". Spending $7,300 on some package (which by the way is the most expensive package after CCBs, almost the cost of B&O+Full Leather), I, and I'm sure many others, want to make damn sure that a) we get the package for the right reasons and b) if we do get it, we get it the right way.

Many many people get competition package for the wheels. Sad but true. All perception. If not only for wheels, wheels is one of the primary reasons. Because it sets their car apart. It was the same in E9X M3 3 years ago (well that package cost less than half of what this one did).

I don't think it's a smart thing to do, buying cast wheels that are 20" in diameter to support a 4400 lbs car with a 575 hp engine. If these were 18s or even 19s, its something else. But time will only tell. I guess if someone living in LA or NYC can beat the shit out of these wheels for a few years and they have no cracks and the balance does not go out once every 6 months, then maybe it's not so bad. But even so, them being $400 cheaper (so thats $1600 in total) is a big rip off. If BMW made the other wheels more expensive, I would totally understand. But selling them for the same price online but charging different amount from their parts store is just totally wrong.
Appreciate 0