View Single Post
      03-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The fact that the 601M is $800 and the the 343M wheel is $1200 is to me a pretty clear indication that the 343M wheel is a better wheel.

To me this is an optics vs. quality choice. I would choose quality.

I think your sour grape comments is out of line. A lot of people here bought 2014s and had the opportunity to get 601M wheels and chose not to. I wrote a cheque for my 2014 and to add CP with 601M wheels would have been chump change for me.

I think most people pick 343M over 601M wheels because they care about quality. An M Car should have forged wheels. The fact that BMW did not make the 601M wheels in a forged format is shameful on the part of BMW. You should be at least slightly annoyed about this.
I am definitely annoyed that the 601s aren't forged like the 343s, but by the time we had a definitive answer on that, I had already fell in love with the look I wanted on my car.

My sour grapes comment is just pointing out a trend on these forums that I am just as guilty of... people defend their purchases and choices passionately -- to the point that many poopoo the newer version. Because of this, I don't think you can objectively value all the statements the OP made as fact, since many of them are merely subjective opinion.

The cost thing to me is minor -- value proposition arguments over the wheels option on a $100k car is not nearly as substantive as people are making it out to be.

To be honest, I may go with the 343s on my next M5... merely because it is different from what I currently have, and I think each wheel set can look better or worse depending on the car and cosmetic's colors (I will be getting the CP again regardless, )

However, I don't want new buyers to think that if they get the 601Ms they are getting a dramatically inferior product -- the differences are slight and will not effect 99.99% of the driving experience. They should ultimately choose what they think looks the best.