View Single Post
      08-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow M5 Ring-Taxi crash closes Nürburgring today...

Nürburgring, Germany
Sunday morning...

This morning's Nordschleife Touristenfahrten session was closed today - because of the M5 Ring-Taxi crashed on Nürburgring track - with paying customers aboard! Luckily no one was hurt except for the driver's ego. At first(early reports said) it was thought the crash was caused due to the driver drifting in the Brunchen-II turn. Turns out the driver of the Ring Taxi was just driving way over his head and the "red mist" got the better of his judgment. He really ought to have yielded and pulled over to the right to let the red Porsche driver pass him. But he did not. Instead he went too "hot" into Brunchen-II. By the time the driver's realized what was happening, he was also a passenger before impacting the guard rail to driver's right.

Our friend Dale over at BridgeToGantry published some really good pics and video of today's Ring Taxi crash.

Dale wrote:

The red lights came on early this Sunday morning as a BMW Ring-Taxi power-oversteered out of Brünnchen 2 and into the fence on the right-hand-side between Brünnchenn and Eiskurve.

The red Porsche GT2 was GLUED to the rear bumper of the BMW Ring-Taxi all the way from Wipperman to Eschbach.

Lights blazing.

What does that mean?

It means MOVE RIGHT. It means you're being overtaken. The Nordschleife is not a place to let your pride and ego take control of your driving. It doesn't matter who you are, what you're driving. Just move over.

I drum it into beginners at every one of my safety briefings.

And what if you've got paying passengers in your car? Do I really need to write this down for you?!

So when you watch the video, what can you see stuck to the bumper three corners later?

That same red Porsche GT2.

And how does the BMW driver crash? It's no failed drift attempt, as I wrongly reported earlier today (based on eye-witness accounts). Oh no, it's nothing so ambitious!

It's a plain and simple "oh shit, I've gone too fast and I can't control it."

A beginner's mistake, if I'm going to be brutal.

Name:  ring_taxi_porsche_2.jpg
Views: 26888
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  ring_taxi_porsche.jpg
Views: 26518
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  ring_taxi_crash_2.jpg
Views: 26363
Size:  170.1 KB

Name:  ring_taxi_crash_3.jpg
Views: 26687
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  ring_taxi_crash_1.jpg
Views: 27553
Size:  157.4 KB

Looking at the photo above, I think the driver knows it too.

BMW, you need local experts with thousands and THOUSANDS of laps of the 'Ring. Not just in racing, not just in testing. But in public driving too. Because public driving is a skill set all on its own.

Your brand, your reputation, your call.

Name:  ring_taxi_crash_4.jpg
Views: 26160
Size:  151.8 KB

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...ing-taxi-crash
Appreciate 0