06-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #38
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
22k from Porsche and Sharkwerks sold the kit for 18k. I wouldn't mind spending the cash up front to have the ceramics. BUt I would need them to last at least 150k. I honestly have no idea how long the rotors should last. I know on my old e36m I replaced rotors ever 10-15k with a few track days. I know the dealer replaced the rotors on my current e92m at around 40k and that was before the car had seen any track days. If these brakes could do 150k with a couple track days a year I would consider. I just hope they carry over the exact same brakes from the M5/6 to the new m3. I see it as a way for bmw to save some money and give consumers a product we want.
If the carbon ceramics really did last 150K, that would ALMOST make them worth it in terms of cost per mile compared to steel -- almost. But I haven't seen anyone talk about any ceramics lasting that long, and as others have said, you'd still be left with the other road problems (squealing, difficult cold braking, etc). Also, I doubt the EXACT same brakes will be available on the next M3 seeing as on the M5/6 they require 20" wheels -- unless BMW will really fit the next M3 with 20s as a factory option, which I doubt.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0