01-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
That article is missing some crucial info. Makes no sense otherwise. Car's a total loss. Insurance pays for the car and you move on. What's the confusion?
I've read the entire thread over on the camaro forum, pretty interesting stuff. And sad..
I think the confusion lies in that the dealer doesn't think it's their problem since the car was in fact "stolen" from them afterhours, by their own employee..
The dealer said at first that it wasn't their problem and that he should take care of everything on his own. After he went to the press with the story they offered him to buy another car from them that had 3000 more miles on the clock and some options he didn't want + $4000 in cash as compensation for it having 3000 more miles than his original car. Dealer said it was a one owner, clean title car with all the service records etc.

He went to look at it, saw it was beat up, had some aftermarket badges etc (dealer never said anything about that), NO papers and it needed new tires at 13000 miles. The guy got a carfax report (on his own dime) and it turned out it was in fact a TWO owner car and the front bumper had been replaced after it was damaged. (I don't know how).
Needless to say he turned it down.
Dealer was interviewed and said some pretty bad things about the guy. Basically that he was trying to rip them off and that they had bent over backwards for him...

It's all over the internet right now, even on yahoo and most car sites/forums.

The dealership is pretty f*cked if they don't step up. Their facebook page has been overflowed with negative comments, many people have written to GM and the dealer to express their not-so-nice views on the situation etc. They remove most of the stuff on facebook though but probably have to work overtime on that since so many people are so angry with them.

Now it seems as if some retired GM exec has contacted the guy and said he will get fully compensated and taken care of.

And, apparently the police that got to the crash first was told by the guy who stole the car that he was the owners best friend and he had just borrowed the car. The police man said "ok" and never checked up on it...
Appreciate 0