10-30-2011, 03:37 AM   #158
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
I would not believe a SINGLE thing that C&D, MT or R&T publish for performance figures... For staters, I worked for two of these mags for 12 years... They are KNOWN for over-inflating performance numbers to help sell the new brand of what ever is being tested that's new!!!
I would trust a magazine over you any day. Come on these are journalists. They are not always 100% scientific nor statistical but they do a good job at finding the best reasonable numbers they can. I also seriously question your claim about employment based on the points below.

Quote:
They also test cars that are not always STOCK yet they publish the numbers as STOCK...
Come on, testing modified cars and claiming they are stock. Rubbish. Now perhaps some car companies NA divisions knowingly give them a ringer, sure possible, likely though, not often.

Quote:
AND they test cars in a areas known for (DA) density altitudes 1000+ feet BELOW sealevel (rare in 85% of the U.S.) which is like adding 50-70 hp to a car...... This new F10 M5 S65 was tested in air equal to (-1345 feet below sealevel) and ambient temps were 48*F... 90% of us MIGHT be lucky to get to 60 mph in this car in about 4.2/4.4 sec because of our location and DA, with sticky drag radials and very good driving skills...
It does not make much difference as to where they test. ALL of their straight line figures are corrected for temperature and altitude. Although such corrections may not be perfect, in general they are accurate enough.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng-for-weather

Lastly -1000 ft density altitude should give a roughly 5% power change or about 30 hp in the case of the M5. It is nowhere close to 50-70 hp. Have a look at this quick calculator: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm .

Quote:
I've found from doing some private testing that infact BMW is about spot on with their numbers using a very good driver at the helm... Same for Mercedes and others... SO PLEASE do yourselves a favor and don't believe everything you read... That's one of many reasons this counbtry is so F'd up these days, DUMB citizens...
Wow, pot, kettle, black. I don't track many manufacturers but BMW is notorious across all models and for as long as I have been following them to drastically under report cars actual capabilities. In other words, a mediocre driver on a hot day and on a so-so surface could achieve the numbers they state. The other reason we know this to be true is simply from a legal point of view. If most folks could not reproduce their numbers they could have lawsuits galore. However, when nearly everyone bests the factory numbers they can go home thinking good about their "skills".
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 10-30-2011 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0