06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #33
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Yes but I don't think they track them in that heat.

With regard to the ECU, electronics are extremely susceptible to heat. I designed embedded systems for avionics in the 80s. My stuff went into the F-15 and F-16 and some was in the cockpit but we had one box that went back by the exhausts. That one had to sustain temperatures up to 135C when they ran the afterburners. Designing boxes that can dissipate heat without Air Conditioning is very challenging and designing electronics that can run in those conditions is just as challenging. We did a lot of testing of our electronics under high temperatures and heat is the most difficult thing for the electronics to withstand. Constant cycling also produces problems as well because of the transitions. If you can put air cooling on your electronics, you are ahead of the game.
That's really cool and must have been a very nice thing to have been part of

We have F16 fighter jets in our Air Force (Royal Norwegian Air Force), and have signed for the new F35 (my uncle is actually part of a design team within a weapon systems company designing some of the weapon systems for the F35).
Appreciate 0