Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Smile

With my F10 M5 in all normal settings (defaults from ignition on) "gonowhereitus" is a problem I run into frequently.

If it is below 15C or raining it becomes more pronounced! The car is traction limited on any kind of loose road surface or a good road with even minimal sand/debris on it. Heck on cold tires + warm day it can be a handful in MDM/DCT off.

To combat this I have my "M1" button set up:

M Engine Dynamics (looks like speedo) = 3
M DCT = D3 (Auto shift most agressive)
Suspension = 2
Steering = 1 (Comfort)
Traction mode = leave MDM off as it requires a double click of M button to engage if MDM on/DCT off is selected (have that on M2)

This way if I need to go in a hurry and notice the car is slower then a Toyota Corolla from the 80's running on 1 good cylinder you just need to tap M1 with your left thumb and your gone NOW. I do not enjoy driving the car out of M1 mode unless I am trying to take it easy on purpose (gravel driveway).

This car requires "some" wheel spin to enjoy the drive. I am not surprised there is talk of new rear end/DCT programming on the M5 LCI. Hopefully it filters down as a software update as the above situation almost got me T-boned. One assumes a 560hp car can dart out quickly and get out of the way of another vehicle, but when it doesn't go anywhere and your almost hit you get scared to death!

The flip side of the coin is the over-aggressive DCT in default settings allows my Wife to feel safe when driving it knowing the rear end won't kick out like when I'm booting around in MDM mode. I suppose the settings are the result of lawyers trying to nanny proof everything. This is one example where too much "safety" can be a bad thing!

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0