View Single Post
      03-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

There is something distinctly purist about the F10 M5 too

Sup fellas,

So I haven't driven my M5 in about 2 weeks. The last time I drove it was when I posted that thread of when I went driving in the winter wonderland. My car was still a little dirty from that day for the last 2 weeks and has just been sitting in the garage. I promised myself that I would wash it this weekend. So my plan was to get up early today and just knock it out. But when I got up this morning I just thought to myself, why wash it if it's not completely dirty. So I spontaneously went for a drive this morning, but I wanted to go somewhere I've never been to before. So I decided to head for the coast. I wanted to see the ocean, since I haven't really seen the ocean since I left California.

I headed East through some back-roads in Maryland and drove around a bit until I could find a spot with a good view to the ocean. While driving out there though I let the engine breathe and stretched her legs a bit. Plus I wanted to do a little driving just to charge the battery up a bit as I got the low battery warning when I started her up this morning.

I just wanted to say that this car never ceases to surprise and amaze me. The part I'm always most surprised about is that it has a turbo-charged engine and the sound that comes out of my exhaust is just so damn (well for the lack of any other word) pure. At one point I had to make a u-turn and was in second gear. As I accelerated back onto the road in second gear just slowly accelerating and holding the exhaust notes for as long as possible. A huge feeling of gratuitous harmonic pleasure and peace came over me. For a moment there, I felt at one with the car, I felt a peace. As if every problem I have in my life just melted away into nothing. It was an incredible feeling, even with the windows up, I could still hear the hurricane going on behind me and felt as the though the M5 was the Space Shuttle as it roared, rumbled, and shook so much.

Many have said that BMW ///M has lost the way with turbo charged engines. I just wish I could give everyone a ride in my car just to show you how puristic a Twin Turbo M5 can be. Sure there are other great epic cars out there like the 911 GT3, the Ferrari 458, heck even the E60 M5 all with their wonderful naturally aspirated engines. But so far as I believe, I believe I have created a sound and an experience that proves to myself that the F10 M5 is the right car for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have any of those great cars too, but none of them would be able to give me exactly what the F10 M5 gives me.

After that I got home and had to clean that dirty bitch up.

So my advice if I were to dispense any, is to put straightpipes on your M5 and drive, just drive your heart out. Downpipes make all the difference. You'll thank me later.

What I felt today was almost like what happens at 1:03 in the video below, but better. Like what Mr. Clarkson said, a World of Motoring Perfection.

Here's a couple of pics. I didn't have my Nikon with me today, so I just took a couple iPhizone pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-02-2014 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0