View Single Post
      06-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #152
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i feel "confident" that i can ride around in only a shirt, helmet and gloves.

where i live, there are 1 or 2 really nice open highways.

i typically take these 2 highways on the weekends when i ride to my dad's house on the weekend (wife drives my truck).

i ride very conservative - i'm a green rider, but i really respect this bike.

the fastest i have gone on ANY bike is only 90mph - and that was with the flow of traffic.

i don't go around corners dragging knee and i don't wide open throttle - EVER.

i do the speed limit while riding next to my wife and kids....

when i ride to my dad's house, i'm usually in 5th gear by the time i hit the speed limit.

and with this XB, i tend to skip gears as i'm upshifting to get into 5th gear faster lol.

first gear vrooooom, up shift up shift.......3rd gear vrooooooom, up shift up shift.......5th gear......

HAHA !!!!
Speed is the factor... not RPMs. skin on road = not good even at 60 mph and 2000 RPMs.

No one ever INTENDS to have an accident. You dress with gear for planning if/when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Guys, whats your views on commuting wear i.e. Leather or textiles?

I presume most, if not all of you live in much sunnier climates than Scotland so this may be a pointless Q. I have my bike test in the coming weeks, and I'm looking to start buying my kit.

However, due to the weather over here I'm torn between buying textiles or a leather two piece.

Leathers look the part and are great protection, where textiles offer the weather protection and also good safety.

Any ideas/suggestions based on experience?
I'm still "building" my gear stock pile

I do not track any bikes... I do spirited riding / touring (mountains, day rides, etc) and I also commute to work on the bike. Depending on your riding type... it will certainly change what you want to pick.

I currently have textile pants that are waterproof and have vents that unzip. I ordered them to be an overpant (one size bigger)... and the slip on and off over jeans and are comfortable in just boxers as well. They also have a thermal liner that zips in/out for when it gets colder. Then I have a mesh type jacket for super hot temperatures and a leather jacket for all other times. I prefer riding in the leather jacket as the armor and overall fit is much more conformed to me. Textiles tend to hold their shape from my experience so far... leathers seem to break in over time which can make the fitment better overtime. Certainly the case with gloves... leather gloves break in over time whereas textiles pretty much hold their shape. The benefit of all textile when your touring is that you can get suits with multiple liners for cold and rain or they have waterproof-ness built in. Which is helpful when you're out on the road and on the go.

I also have a $40 two-piece rain suit that packs neatly enough that I can almost always carry it on longer trips without it taking too much storage space.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold

Last edited by fitchesbass; 06-24-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0