stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpnbyu View Post
Interesting review; however, as a fellow attendee of the event, I disagree with some of the information.

1. The center console is not cheap plastic. It is the same finish as what is found in the current E9.X M3.

2. There is no appreciable turbo lag. I was in the morning session at Ascari and managed to get four laps in with the M5 before the rain arrived (my first stint was in the 1M on a dry track, but let's stay on topic here). When the right stick on the floor meets the carpet this car goes and it goes fast. The power delivery is very smooth across the RPM range where as the M3 gets that powerband-like kick around 6K RPM.

Overall, it was a fun car to drive and the ///M group knows how to host an event, no expenses spared. Get out and drive this car when you can; it will leave you with a grin!

@Stealth.Pilot - thanks for stepping up and switching from the heli group in the morning to the drive group.
I think my decision to switch groups did diminish the experience! The track conditions you got to drive the M5 in were substantially better than ours - and it seems you really got to see the performance. Also since someone in the first group damaged one of the cars, when we got on the track in the rain, the M5 safety car driver was going really slow. So it became quite difficult to drive. The M3 was driven on a drying track so I guess he is right - it was the DSC holding back the throttle.

Didn't know that black center console panel was hard leather, but it didn't look or feel like leather. I certainly prefer the Anthracite console with ceramic controls. I don't know if there is a ceramic version of the M-DCT lever.

This is the M5 center console.

This is the center console in my 550i M-Sport.
Appreciate 0