View Single Post
      09-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #32
andrew20195
Private
Rep
Drives: On Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
So what are you saying that the ECU and other electronics on the car is cooled by water cooling? That doesn't sound good either. Water and electronics don't mix.
Yes, the two DME units on the M5 are water cooled. People use water cooling circuits in high end home computer systems already. It greatly decreases the size of the required heat sinks, and pretty much eliminates any requirement for airflow around the components which are cooled. If properly designed and manufactured, there is little concern for water damaging the electronic components.

Quote:
I am not talking about sensors and other crap like that, I am talking about ECU and TCU, and other electronics that control the climate control, dashboard, etc. Usually it is either placed by the firewall or the trunk. Obviously if it is in the trunk then heat won't be a problem but if it is anywhere by the firewall then better be shielded insanely as the heat from the turbo's will definitely get at it.
Heat shielding the firewall is really not much of an issue. Most cars have little to no heat shielding on the firewall. To be honest, the heat from the turbos is smaller than the heat generated by the catalytic converters, which are even closer to the firewall, but so are a lot of cats on non-turbo cars. A good example is the Acura RDX. The turbo and cat are right next to the firewall, but between the thin aluminum heat shield on the turbo/cat, the thin aluminum heat shield on the firewall, there is no significant increase in heat at the interior firewall over non-turbo designs.

Quote:
This design really boggles the mind. Heat from the engine also rises so it will also heat up the cooled air somewhat as also will heat up the turbo's that are on top. I hope BMW know what they are doing with this design. I just hope this isn't one of those HPFP things.
The heating of the inducted air from the action of compressing it is much more significant than the small extra heat from being near the hot engine. The air hasn't been cooled at this point. The intercoolers are in front of the engine, and the intake is through the bottom of the cylinder heads. The real benefit of the design is the very short induction path, resulting in better throttle response.
Appreciate 0