View Single Post
      05-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Listened to the Bang & Olufsen System Today--wasn't impressed

I was considering the Bang & Olufsen audio option but thought the price was a bit steep. My dealer obviously didn't have an M5 in the showroom, but he did have a new 6 Series with the optional Bang & Olufsen audio system installed, which he was kind enough to allow me to audition. I hooked it up to my iPod and played some high bit rate recordings to give the system the best possible source material. In fairness to the system, I did not connect via hardwire, but rather, at the dealer's suggestion, used the bluetooth connection, which is obviously a more compressed connection but one that most of us are likely to use most of the time.

I wasn't very impressed. The system sounded good, but to my ears, a bit buzzy, particularly on simple vocal stuff. It's plenty loud if that's what you're in to, but I'm more interested in clarity. There are two pre-programmed digital processing settings--one for a more focused sound and one that is meant to convey the illusion of a more spacious listening environment. I liked that sound the least as it really just gave the music a more muddled sound.

It's not a bad system, but I can't see spending $3,700 for it. All I can say, is that if you are considering the system, make sure you take the time to listen to it first.
Appreciate 0