View Single Post
      03-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I always do 20% on sides and back window. 50-60% on front windshield. I use 3M Color Stable on the sides and 3M Crystalline on the front (I know there's that photosync that's a little better in rejection but it's only for light % tinting).

I personally see tint as a safety feature first, comfort feature second, vanity third.
- cuts down glare, making day and night driving much easier and safer
- holds together glass in the event of an accident. this has saved my face before.
- keeps car cool and leather in good condition

Those are my main reasons for tinting and my choice in films.

Very rarely do I need to roll my side windows down. Only when I am parking in very tight quarters to see if a curb on the ground jets out.

The front windshield tint during the darkest time of night I can see out the front no problem. It's very beneficial at night cutting down glare from oncoming cars, street lights, road lights, and sometimes high beams left on by other drivers. I can always spot road debris and other obstacles. Never in 10 years of tinting my cars this way have I had any issues.

The side mirrors auto dim feature doesn't work the best, and there is a non dim border around the glass edges. So the side tint helps with that as well.

So everyone knows, it's not the dark % tint that rejects heat. It's the type of film and film technology. 3M Crystalline and PhotoSync reject the most heat and cut down lots of glare.

So if you have no concern of privacy I would recommend one of those. It looks very classy as well as you can still see the interior during some conditions.

If you are interested in privacy, I would strongly recommend not going below 20% on the sides. Tinting the windshield isn't for everyone. I can't recommend that to others. But I wouldn't run what I have if I had any trouble or felt it was unsafe.