06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #105
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Since I have seen this come up more than once, I have to clarify. I guess its just lack of understanding the process. BMW employees do not unload the cars from the ships, nor have any say in who does. All the cars are unloaded by dockworkers, here in CA they are the longshore men. Once the cars are unloaded and driven to the designated location then the BMW employees can then take the cars, process them, wash them, add a lil fuel and them drive them to the truck or train loading ramp. To me it looks like this guy who got fired was most likely one of the people who transported the cars off the ship to the designated areas.
This was the process when I worked at Toyota Logistics in Long Beach, even though we were right in the harbor, Toyota employees were not allowed on the ships, only the Longshore Men (basically union dock workers).
So saying BMW needs to get a handle in this is placing the blame at the wrong party. The field supervisors of the docks need to get a handle on thier employees.
True, it isn't directly BMW's fault. However, they must be able to put pressure on the dock companies in some way.
Appreciate 0