06-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Road & Track--2013 BMW M5 vs. 2012 Cadillac CTS-V

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...cadillac-cts-v

It's a very good comparison. And, of course, it's closer than many here would have been willing to admit. The CTS-V's simpler, less sophisticated approach makes an excellent contrast--spotlighting all the strengths and weaknesses of the F10 M5.

I will note that R&T's decision to obtain the rarest of rare M5s with a manual transmission in order to go manual to manual with the almost equally rare Cadillac Tremec TR-6060 six-speed appears to be an attempt to skew the results. A comparison of the M5's 7-speed MDCT with the V's ancient (and achingly slow) GML80 6-speed automatic would have resulted in a far greater point total for the M5.

Now before you all go leaping to the defense of the M5, let me tell you that my 2010 CTS-V is essentially identical to the 2012 CTS-V test vehicle (with the exception of the aforementioned manual transmission) and I've had a deposit down and been waiting for a production number on an M5 since April. Why did I do that when I already own a car that's 95% of what the M5 is with an interest free loan courtesy of the American taxpayer? Simple, because I can afford the best, and the M5 is that. As a day-to-day driver and an incredibly sophisticated luxury sedan that also happens to double as a close to full-tilt race car when I get bored, there is no comparison--the M5 is the King.

I love what the V stands for as GM's last desperate attempt to take on the world's best prior to bankruptcy and somehow pulling it off, and I still get a big grin on my face when I put my foot down in the V. But I can't wait to trade in my V and drive off in my new M5.
Appreciate 0