View Single Post
      06-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #55
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Not the first time they said this. Remember that the E60 M5 wasn't going to have a manual either, and BMW made it happen at the last minute due to an outcry from the US market. And now we're on our 2nd M5 model since they said they wouldn't have one. And now they're saying they won't have one for the 3rd revision from when they first said we wouldn't have one.

I don't really care, but I wish M5 buyers had their choice. It's not an interesting car to me anymore; I've always wanted an E39 M5, but the bigger cars don't interest me. Now that the F30 is E39 size, it seems just right. So that's probably the answer -- when the next M5 comes out in 2018 or whatever, but an M3 instead -- it'll be plenty big, and have a stick!

As everyone else has pointed out, it's not about shifting speed or MPG (on an M5.. really??)
It's simply a blast to drive a stick. I can't bring myself to drive a boring-ass automatic or DCT, I'd find driving miserable. I enjoy doing things that exercise my muscle memory and exhibit skill. Every time I hop on the motorcycle, even if I haven't ridden in 6 months, I can rev match and bang down thru the gears like I did it yesterday... or typing when I really get into a groove and can fly over the keys.. It's such an ENJOYABLE feeling. It's like asking why you'd want to drive on the track when you just go in circles and end up where you started. Those who get it, get it.
Appreciate 0