01-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Bonz, I do respect you too and I know you have good technical knowledge.
M5 MT is 33 lb lighter and has better weight distribution. (52.3/47.7 for MT and 52.5/47.5 for DCT)... also has longer gear ratio ( thanks for letting me know that higher number is called shorter ratio ) in first 4 gear where the major traction issue of M5/M6 is appeared;

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

Edit: so a little better weight distribution and lower torque at wheel cause the better traction which was my concern in post #13
Thanks for making me double check. Actually, the MCT has more weight on the rear wheels by 7 lbs. (4387*.475)-(4354*.477)=7lbs. So while the MT has slightly closer to 50/50 wt distribution, it is 7 lbs lighter in the rear. But again, 7 lbs is insignificant taking into account the the hundreds of pounds of weight transfer that occurs under hard acceleration.

Even though the MT has taller gearing, both cars can easily light up the rear tires off the line, so it still comes down to good traction and pedal modulation. You are right, the taller gearing should help a bit with this, but in the hands of equally skilled drivers, it doesn't really matter.
Appreciate 0