View Single Post
      10-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice7 View Post
Good points made and agree in most. I currently own both and one thing I do notice is that the M6 hides its weight well as it doesn't feel as big as it looks. The interior of the M6 appears to be more driver centric and more sporty and luxurious compared to the 5 obviously. The seats on the M5 are definitely more comfortable and easily can fit 4 adults maybe even 5 including luggages on the back (I've done it ). It really comes down to preferences and needs. Can't go wrong here. Both are great looking cars but IMO the M6 design is
I was going to recommend that Ice7 make a post here since he currently owns both. Lol!

Here's my assessment, since I'm kinda bored.

I've driven both the M6 and the M5 quite a bit. I feel that for both the E6x generation and the F1x generations, the M5 and M6 are quite close in performance. We have to remember that the M6 is not a sports car. It is a GT car, or Gran Touring, meaning comfortable luxurious long distance cruising in a 2 door car that still allows you to seat people in the back in moderate comfort and enough room in the trunk to fit luggage that can last you for a long vacation. The M6 like the M5 is an all-arounder, but has it's advantages over a 4 door car and vice versa, some disadvantages too. On the track it's a no brainer, M6 all day every day, the car feels more composed and faster on the track. On the street, especially since I have a bad back (war injury from Iraq), the M5 is the better choice with its more comfortable front and back seats and spacious cabin. The M5 is the sexiest 4 door sports sedan I know, the only other car to come close is the Aston Martin Rapide. The M6 Coupe is well a very sexy 2-door GT car, but there are other 2-door cars that are far more sexy, but those are all pure sports cars. In the same segment as the M6, as a pure GT Coupe car, is the S63 AMG-Coupe, perhaps the Mercedes CL63, Audi has no product in the market to compete since there is no 2 door version of an RS7, Maserati has the GranTurismo, Aston Martin has the Vanquish or a DB9, Porsche has no equivalent GT Coupe car,
and that's pretty much it. So you can see that the market segment for a true High Performance GT Coupe car is actually rather small. We really have to be careful with our debates when it comes to this segment of the market. When people say they can have a V10 Audi R8 for the same price as a fully loaded M6 Coupe, it really doesn't make sense, they are not the same kind of cars, same goes for a Porsche 911 vs the M6, or a GTR. However, given the fact the M6 Coupe, and M5 for that matter, can beat more exotic pure sports car in straightline rolling races says a lot about a car whose primary mission is not a sports car.

In truth there are some days when I wish I drove an M6, when I want more attention or on the track, but then there are other days when I'm glad to have an M5, enjoying the big cabin and greater comfort, but we really can't go wrong with either car. Also before the BMW i8, the M6 Coupe was BMW's most exotic looking car, and I think that had a lot to do with it's price point, but it certainly isn't $20,000 faster than the M5.

What I'm looking forward to is the next generation M6. A car that is rumoured to not only be obviously lighter than the F13 M6, but also smaller! I have already seen hints that BMW's direction with the next M6 is to make it less of a GT car and more of a sports car to compete with the Porsche 911. If they can do that and keep most of it's GT qualities, I'll be impressed.

Last edited by RPiM5; 10-14-2015 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0