View Single Post
      09-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
well asking how to be safe at +300km/h or what can happen is pretty similar to asking to how to survive a plane crash (best answer usually is that it will at least get you to the crash site)

There's really no telling (no car manufacturer will build their cars with the intention to handle a +300km/h accident) and I'd say that any instance where people "walked" away from high speed accidents should be considered the exception.
I also believe there are certain things one just should not do such as careless/reckless negligence (driving at high speeds on unsafe roads, heavy traffic, passing right etc) as it's just asking for "trouble"

I think I have quite a bit of knowledge on the topic of driving at high speeds and have seen my share or people on the road not just getting themselves into trouble but also others around them (I really couldn't care about them as Darwin will find them, but other innocent people are often involved too) .
If you drive at these speeds you on purpose take a risk and most likely should not worry about mechanical failures (if your car is well maintained) but other people making unforeseen movements (getting into your lane, unpredictable moves) which will get you into trouble.

just my 2c
Thanks for the reply. I'm all for responsible and safe driving at all times. But at times I also participate races from a roll and I wondered about could possibly cause a car to lose control on a dry, empty straight road.

It's just that I saw the accident with a Viper and I can't find an answer what could cause a car in a straight empty road lose control and crash, whether it could be aftermarket forced induction on a N/A car or jammed brakes.

I guess I'm trying to find comfort in M5's superior high speed engineering and testing compared to some other super cars with questionable build quality, handling and impact of aftermarket modifications and safety of a sedan compared to a cabrio roadster.
Appreciate 0