View Single Post
      03-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Darude
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 AW+SO+CCB

Cool Delivery of first F10 M5 with M Carbon Ceramic Brakes (with full tech training info)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
ADMIN UPDATE:

Full technical information on M Carbon Ceramic Brakes (with a great comparison to standard M5 brakes).

CLICK TO VIEW PDF:

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 9.55.18 AM.jpg
Views: 33121
Size:  68.7 KB

OWNER UPDATE: added more driving impressions of the brakes below.

Taking delivery tomorrow of what I believe to be the first M5 with M Carbon Ceramic Brakes (full technical details). The dealer has taken a few photos to wet my appetite.

I will post more pictures of delivery and a review of my first impressions.

I have taken the week off work to drive the car and to get 1200 miles covered so the run in service can be done, before driving the car through Europe and experiencing the full power.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for when taking delivery and inspecting the car?

Name:  f10m5-ceramicbrakes1.jpg
Views: 29063
Size:  256.4 KB

Name:  f10m5-ceramicbrakes3.jpg
Views: 32131
Size:  198.1 KB

Name:  f10m5-ceramicbrakes2.jpg
Views: 25435
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  f10m5-ceramicbrakes5.jpg
Views: 25495
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  f10m5-ceramicbrakes4.jpg
Views: 25430
Size:  257.3 KB

Name:  f10m5-ceramicbrakes6.jpg
Views: 24980
Size:  130.4 KB

UPDATE!

I've just finished a 2 day 1200 mile road trip with the new beast. We took in South England, Wales, the Lake District and Scotland, whilst driving the car on some of the best driving roads in Britain.

I will follow this post which includes pictures with a full and detailed review, but I am sure you would like to know how the CCB performed? I was told that they required 600 miles to bed in and give proper braking performance. I was driving in temps from +7 to -4 on all roads types and surfaces and the brakes performed faultlessly, the modulation and feel was fantastic, the stopping power phenomenal. Brake squeal? I only heard this when driving slowly (stopping in traffic under 10mph) with the windows down or sunroof open, never with the windows closed, it didn't matter if the brakes were cold, wet, frozen or even after a solid 11 hours driving they were immense. Now, I cant compare the CCB's to the standard steel rotors as I haven't driven these with anger over 1200 miles.

The car goes in for its 1200 mile run in service on Wednesday before being driven to France & Switzerland.

I will write more including a review of my thoughts on all aspects of the cars performance and functions over the next few days.

I would like to say thanks to IND for shipping the all important black gloss kit to the UK.

UPDATE #2

Just got the car back after the run in service. The car now sounds amazing, more pops and crackles especially when lifting off and changing down from 2nd to 1st. Interestingly the technician confirmed that during the run in service the turbos are not at full boost and after the run in service is deactivated the turbos are at max boost pressure.

Ok, for everyone that has a negative impression of the CCB's... My onboard service says that the discs never need replacing and last the lifetime of the car and the brake pads need changing in 100,000 miles! Now opting for these brakes isn't everyones choice, but for such a heavy and powerful car with the style of cross European driving I do with monthly track sessions these brakes are more than worth it for me. I wonder how many people have ever driven cars with 2nd or 3rd gen CCB?

The 23 kilo weight saving which is importantly unsprung makes a sizeable difference to the handling of the car. For me spending the money on the CCB was a no brainer but spending £3700 on the B&O system made no sense on a drivers car as I rarely use the stereo when driving.

Each to their own thats why we all have differently specced and coloured M5's!

Appreciate 0