02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
To keep this thread on topic, I'll bring us back to the dicussion of the exhaust valves. Maybe I'm being thick here, and I'll admit I have not have a chance yet to inspect the valves myself, but I'd like to better understand the process of permanently locking the valves open as a way to enhance the sound a bit.

First, it seems from jmh and ColdList's comments you have to do two things to achieve this - disconnect and plug the vacuum line and then wire the valves open. Correct? I would just like to clarify that just wiring the valves open will not work.

Second, I would assume it's fairly straight forward to disconnect the vacuum line at the valve on the muffler, with the important part of the modification being a 100% tight seal on the vacuum line plug.

Lastly, from the comments above I also assume the valves can be wired open with the exhaust on the car.

Thanks in advance to those members knowledgable about this topic for your assistance!
Hi,
glad to be back on topic
I am not near my (stored) OEM exhaust so can't check in person but if the exhaust valve is similar to the one on the F30 the DYI from the F30 should apply
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761453
As for the vacuum line all you have to do is to unplug it from the valve and plug
it with something which seals it nicely (a golf tee does work wonders ) .
Then secure the line so it doesn't bounce around or can get loose and the plug
fall off .
On the E90 (and likely the Eisenman without the valves) the BMW Performance
exhaust had actually a little metal piece welded to it where you could plug / terminate
your vacuum line.
Oh and yes this can all be done while the exhaust is one the car and also without the
need for a lift etc (it would just make it easier to work on the car if it's on a lift)

Hth,
Jan
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0