polesx
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 F10 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamichael
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Thanks for the write up. I am also switching from a 2012 550i MSport to an M5.

Also you didn't mention the sound and M HUD but to me those contribute to significantly better driver engagement on the M5. I had difficulty using paddles because the car was so quiet and HUD lacks rpm on the 550.

One question - any tips on maximizing value recovery on the 550i? What did you get for it? Where? Please PM me.

I haven't used the HUD significantly yet. I do not have HUD on my 550, but have had it on previous M models. I does look great - probably the best I have seen in terms of brightness, resolution and clarity. It clearly is reflective of BMW quality and technology to date.

I assume when you mention "sound" that you are referring to the sound that the car makes and not the audio system. The 550 and the M5 cannot be more different in this area. This is probably the only disappointing thing about the 550. It is almost a silent car - while driving and idling. Even when you push it, it does not have much of an audible personality. I thought my older E60 550 (2007) that I owned had a nicer engine sound to it by far. This is one of the things I love about previous M models. Having had 2 E90 M3's - I believe that they were/are the best sounding cars produced by BMW. I just loved to hear the S65 idle. The 550 is dull in this area, enough said. The M5 sounds great inside and outside of the car. Not in the same way as the M3, but terrific nonetheless. You know that there is something special under the hood. I know that there have been a number of people bellyaching about the "artificial" sound that is piped into the sound system. You might also find many people stating that they did not notice it after actually driving the car. I go on record to say the same. If this simulated sound is occurring, BMW has done very well designing this feature, it simply enhances the existing sound that the car makes. It really sounds great in the car. Driving the car you will also hear the whining of the transmission/differential throughout the cabin as you accelerate - truly music to your ears! It all works well together, adding to the experience.
Oh boy. I rather having a silent beast. I like the way BMW silent out their cars these days. Firstly there is less noise pullout ion. Secondly I like the idea of big dogs don't bark.
Still I understand lots of people like old school.
Nice Monrovia ! My f10 is from there too=)
Appreciate 0