View Single Post
      06-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #62
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I agree with the part about it being funny that Americans think they're hardcore for being able to drive stick when the entire rest of the world can, but saying that people only buy stick for the image it conveys -- really?? That might be an added bonus, but I highly doubt that's the main reason for people's decisions.

And sorry, DSG/DCT/PDK etc are all very good and highly impressive engineering achievements, but they don't provide the same enjoyment. Sometimes constant perfection can be addictive and awesome, but other times there's a lot more fun to be had in relentlessly pursuing the perfectly smooth upshift or heel-toe rev-matched downshift executed by YOU every time, and feeling like a hero on the few occasions where you get it exactly right. It's like the joy of learning a craft, and getting more out of it as you invest more time and effort into it. Just my 2 cents.
+10000

The older I get, the more enjoyment I find in shifting manually. I love the DCT's also but I don't get the same enjoyment out of them... apart from the throttle blipping. Having a size 16 shoe will really cramp your style when trying to execute a heel toe downshift!
Appreciate 0