View Single Post
      07-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Road trip and top end test (we don't need no autobahn in West Texas)

Took a road trip to Lubbock for a bowling tournament this weekend. The fun begins outside of Coleman on TX153 all the way to Sweetwater on I-20. Then you wait until you get out of Snyder on 84 and you are free to stomp on it to Post. Lot's of open road with no other cars and straight stretches to run it out.

The TX153 part has plenty of broad curves that can be taken at 100 with stretches into them that you can get to 150+ on. With AC on I was able to get 157 but no more. I had several miles of open road when I tried. I was the only car on the road at the time and I had to get to the middle and drive with both hands because it's not a great road for this kind of speed. I downshifted to 4th from about 95 in 7th and floored it. Ran it to 6500 in each gear and then shifted. It was doing around 140 when I shifted to 7th. Made it to 157 in 7th gear and it just wouldn't go anymore. No notice from the car that this was the limiter but since it was only running around 5500 RPM (glancing at HUD), I think that was the case. I had the AC on and was only in sport on the gas but it was sport plus on steering and suspension as well as S3 on shifting.

I made a number of tests downshifting to 4th at 90 from 7th gear and then flooring it. Lot's of fun to 140 but it moves more slowly from there. It's a kick to drive the car at 100+ for mile after mile. I did this without the use of a radar detector, there is actually no jurisdiction for speed control in a lot of these areas because there is no magistrate for 20 miles or more in any direction. This is what you get out in West Texas, lot's of empty space and room to run your car as fast as you can without any one bothering you. Course if you blow your engine out there, it's a long way back to wherever you came from.

Here is the route on google.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=a...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

On the way back, going through Lampasas, I passed a black E-90 M5 with plates 2008M5. A woman was driving it and I honked, she was startled at first but then realized I was in an M5 and she waved back. Fun trip but didn't bowl too wonderfully. I mainly entered this tournament because I wanted to make the road trip, the field was too strong for me to do much good anyway.
Attached Images

Last edited by wrsbmw; 07-14-2013 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Adding a picture of high speed bug death goop
Appreciate 0