View Single Post
      04-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #77
captbilly
Rep
Drives: A6 turbo, TR-8, 740il,

AWD isn't for snow

Lamborghini does not put AWD in the Gallardo (and other cars) so their customers can drive in the snow, they do it so that they can put down their enormous power without spinning the tires. I have an M3 coming from Germany, but I also own an Audi, and have had several others, and I would have loved to have been able to get AWD on the M3. My Audi has only about 320HP (weighs almost exactly the same as an M3) but it is virtually impossible to spin the tires. My sons Jetta has perhaps 160 HP (weighs a few hundred pounds less) yet I can spin the tires without even meaning to. The only issue with Audis and handling is the weight distribution, not AWD. If BMW can figure out how to keep a reasonable amount of weight on the rear the AWD will be a great asset to it's performance. There are all sorts of things that can be done to still allow power sliding, drifting (why the heck would somebody want to do that?), power oversteer, while still enjoying the much better traction that AWD can offer. I have not heard many AWD supercar owners (Lamborghini, Porsche, R8, Nissan GTR, Buggati Veyron, etc.) complain about their AWD hurting the driving experience.

Of course if you simply do not like AWD then that is certainly a decision that will effect your purchasing decision, but most people would agree that, all things being equal, AWD just makes sense.
Appreciate 0