MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

S65 V8 unspectacular? Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
l
I decided to hold out, but I can assure you "unspectacular" is not an adjective that most people whom have actually driven an e9x M3 would use to describe it.

/thread
That's OK. "Unspectacular" I surmise refers to the linear torque - less kick-in-the-arse feel. Next gen will be TT 6 to meet this perception.

Meanwhile, current buyers will enjoy their Landhut F1-derived with 8 individual butterfly hi-rev V8s. If not this engine, then a Ferrari V8.

I like "Evo", said it better than me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo Mag
Still, if you’re going to burn fossil fuels there are few more deserving recipients than this searing motor. Beating to the frenzied rhythm of F1, every gear presents you with the opportunity to enjoy a seamless, savage surge from tickover to the red line. This is a 4-litre V8 that spins with the hunger and ferocity of Honda’s finest four-cylinder VTEC units and shades both Audi and Mercedes-Benz’s highly rated normally-aspirated V8s for instant throttle response and sheer appetite for revs.

To be completely honest it won’t be until the second day of our test that I get into the habit of regularly extending the M3’s engine beyond 8000rpm, for it really doesn’t seem possible that a 3-series Bee Em will rev like a mid-engined Ferrari. In truth it feels plenty quick enough if you shift up at around 7500rpm. However, its only when you’ve felt the intoxicating rush continue for another 900 blissful revolutions can you claim to have experienced the V8 M3 in all its glory, as it takes this high-performance icon to an altogether different level.

How often you’d work it this hard is debatable, but, in those situations where you can [rev], it makes this car very special indeed.
So, this V8 is likely "unspectacular" unless worked like a GT2 car's; and also why BMW AG will shift to TT to give punters what they crave.

Meanwhile, I will love the NA V8.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0