View Single Post
      05-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #453
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Turbo Version of Subaru's BRZ's FA-Series Engine Debuts in Japanese Legacy

We recently confirmed that we won’t be seeing a turbocharged Subaru BRZ anytime soon; however, we now have a fairly good idea of what kind of power such a model will eventually bring. Subaru has dropped the first turbocharged variant of its 2.0-liter, FA-series flat-four engine—the naturally aspirated version of which powers the BRZ and its Toyota/Scion brethren—into the refreshed Japanese-market Legacy sedan and wagon.

The turbo FA20′s output numbers are impressive: 300 PS and 400 Nm of torque. In the JDM Legacy, the engine is bolted to Subaru’s CVT, likely for fuel-economy reasons.

Levi,

First of all thank you for the info and the very nice pics - I usually don't like big wings but in this case I think it matches the car very nicely indeed and it certainly is needed to cope with those impressive performance figures:

Weight: 1.280 kg
Power : 320 PS
Torque : 421 Nm

I think they have heard Advevo.

What is especially significant though is the addition of a supercharger to a turbo in order to have no throttle response lag. (As you can see there's no space issues ). I can remember the VW's 'twincharger' 1.4-liter direct-injection, high compression ratio (10.0:1), four-cylinder engine that produced 170 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque (1750 to 4500 rpm):

Quote:
Below 2400 rpm, all the boost comes from the supercharger; at 2400 rpm, both the supercharger and the turbocharger provide boost; and beyond 3500, the turbo works alone as the supercharger is disengaged by an electromagnetic clutch. The transition, controlled by the engine management computer, is seamless and undetectable.

The supercharger provides instantaneous power. Once the turbo is providing boost, the supercharger's clutch is disengaged and it is closed off from the induction system, allowing the turbo to take over completely.

In the case of the Toyobaru, I think that in order to preserve the low weight, without striping the car and adding a roll cage, the chassis will be good enough for 185 - 221 lb-ft (250-300 Nm) of torque maximum with slightly wider tires, say: 225/45 R 17.

Also, in order to keep the emissions and the weight as low as possible, without bias the weight toward the front, I think the Toyobaru will receive the lighter and small Boxer 1.6L Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) engine with a 220-240hp version instead of the bigger turbocharged FA20 engine (impressive numbers indeed):

Compression Ratio: 10.6:1
Power: 300 PS (221 kW; 296 hp) at 5,600 RPM
Torque: 40.8 kg·m (400 N·m; 295 lb·ft) at 2,000-4,800 RPM
Appreciate 0