View Single Post
      11-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

I too almost went the Tesla route just before I bought my M5. I drove my M3 down to Palo Alto and was ready to be blown away by the new electric marvel. I had posted on the Tesla forum before going and everyone there told me that I might as well just sell the M3 immediately because the P85 Model S would destroy it. Needless to say, after the test drive I did not share that opinion. I really wanted to like the car but to me there were some basic things missing for a car at that price point. I remember thinking "this is a big expensive car and it doesn't even have front parking sensors" - maybe it does now? The supposed incredible instant torque and acceleration just wasn't there for me, it didn't feel much faster or more responsive than my DCT M3. There is no question that my M5 is faster than the P85 Model S. In my opinion the cabin in the M5 is light years ahead of the Tesla, way more comfortable and luxurious. Where is the HUD in the Tesla? Lane deviation warning? Blind spot indicator? Collision warning? Bird's-eye view camera? If I am going to spend $100,000.00 on a car I want all the cool high tech stuff, especially on a cutting-edge car like the Tesla. I bought my M5 and never looked back. Besides, who wants to plan a road trip around charger locations? I wish Tesla luck, the car is a great accomplishment - but in my opinion the F10 M5 is the superior all-around automobile.
Appreciate 1