View Single Post
      10-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #77
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C
I am surprised no one mentioned anything about what a questionable choice an E60 M5 is for someone with financial concerns. Yes, the initial cost is going to be nearly 1/3 the price of an F10 M5, but what about the maintenance and repairs? A 2010 M5 is likely about to have its factory warranty expire. Some of the common repair costs on an V10 E60/E63 can be pretty significant (especially SMG equipped models). I priced an E63 M6 aftermarket warranty a few months ago. Most aftermarket warranty companies will not touch a V10 BMW. The ones that will provide coverage asked for nearly $7K... which was about 15% of the price of the car I was looking at. So you should probably factor in the cost of the warranty or research and set aside funds for some very common repairs.
Yeah as great as the E60 M5 is, it's a nightmare to maintain once the miles are high and out of warranty. $7,000 just for a clutch change if you take to a dealer. So many things break in that car it's really like a ticking time bomb. 2008 and below model years engines have intermittently died because of bad rod bearings, warranting an entire engine replacement. If you buy a used 2006 E60 M5 for $25k and your engine blows, the cost of replacing the engine might be more than the entire value of the vehicle if you buy a brand new engine. I'd factor in $5000-$10,000 a year just for maintenance and repairs on an E60 M5.

Appreciate 0